- Sondrol, Paul C. Totalitarian and Authoritarian Dictators: A Comparison of Fidel Castro and Alfredo Stroessner. Journal of Latin American Studies. 2009, 23 (3): 599–620. doi:10.1017/S0022216X00015868.
- Rutland, Peter. The Politics of Economic Stagnation in the Soviet Union: The Role of Local Party Organs in Economic Management. Cambridge University Press. 1993: 9. ISBN 978-0-521-39241-9.
after 1953 ...This was still an oppressive regime, but not a totalitarian one.
- Krupnik, Igor. Ro'i, Yaacov , 编. Jews and Jewish Life in Russia and the Soviet Union. Routledge. 1995. ISBN 978-0-714-64619-0.
The era of 'social engineering' in the Soviet Union ended with the death of Stalin in 1953 or soon after; and that was the close of the totalitarian regime itself.
- von Beyme, Klaus. On Political Culture, Cultural Policy, Art and Politics. Springer. 2014: 65. ISBN 978-3-319-01559-0.
The Soviet Union after the death of Stalin moved from totalitarianism to authoritarian rule.
- Foundations of the Nazi State. www.ushmm.org.
- A Unique Death Cult. Slate. 2017-02-21.
- Final Report, pp.115, 323
- Download Limit Exceeded. citeseerx.ist.psu.edu.
- Whine, Michael. Islamism and Totalitarianism: Similarities and Differences. Totalitarian Movements and Political Religions. 2001-09-01, 2 (2): 54–72. doi:10.1080/714005450.
- David Arnett (PDF). turkishpolicy.com. 2008 [2020-02-17].
- The Totalitarian Present - The American Interest. 2009-09-01.
- Gall, Carlotta. Mullah Muhammad Omar, Enigmatic Leader of Afghan Taliban, Is Dead. 2015-07-30 –通过NYTimes.com.
- Did you know that there are two different Taliban groups?. www.digitaljournal.com. 2013-04-01.
- NCTC Home. www.dni.gov.
- Totalitarianism. Encyclopædia Britannica. 2018.
- North Korea country profile. BBC News. 2018-04-09 –通过www.bbc.co.uk.
- Kim Jong Un's North Korea: Life inside the totalitarian state. Washington Post.
- Inc, Encyclopaedia Britannica. Britannica Book of the Year 2014. Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc. 2014-03-01. ISBN 9781625131713 （英语）.
- Rummel, R.J. Charney, Israel W. , 编. Democide in totalitarian states: Mortacracies and megamurderers.. Transaction Publishers. 1994: 5.
There is much confusion about what is meant by totalitarian in the literature, including the denial that such systems even exist. I define a totalitarian state as one with a system of government that is unlimited constitutionally or by countervailing powers in society (such as by a church, rural gentry, labor unions, or regional powers); is not held responsible to the public by periodic secret and competitive elections; and employs its unlimited power to control all aspects of society, including the family, religion, education, business, private property, and social relationships. Under Stalin, the Soviet Union was thus totalitarian, as was Mao's China, Pol Pot's Cambodia, Hitler's Germany, and U Ne Win's Burma
- O'Kane, Rosemary H T. Cambodia in the zero years: rudimentary totalitarianism. Third World Quarterly. 1993, 14 (4): 735–748. JSTOR 3992949. doi:10.1080/01436599308420354.
- Info. eujournal.org. [2020-02-17].
- Mullahi, Anila; Dhimitri, Jostina. Education Issues in a Totalitarian State (Case of Albania). Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2015, 174: 4103–4107. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1161.
- Bedini, Belina. The Legitimation of the Albanian Totalitarian Regime. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences. 2014, 5 (16): 500–5. doi:10.5901/mjss.2014.v5n16p500.
- Albania's EU aspirations still hampered by totalitarian past | DW | 22.03.2012.
- Bulletin (PDF). www.umk.ro. [2020-02-17].
- Thompson, M. R. Totalitarian and Post-Totalitarian Regimes in Transitions and Non-Transitions from Communism. Totalitarian Movements and Political Religions. 2002-06-01, 3 (1): 79–106. doi:10.1080/714005469.
- Taylor, Adam. The brutal dictatorship the world keeps ignoring. 2015-06-12.
- UN calls Eritrea a 'totalitarian' state ruled by fear. Daily Nation. 2015-06-08 [2018-11-07].