Black coal, hard coal, stone coal, blind coal, Kilkenny coal, crow coal, craw coal, black diamond
- ^ "anthracite," The Oxford English Dictionary. 2nd ed. 1989. OED Online. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2010-06-26. 
- Chandler, Alfred D. Anthracite coal and the beginnings of the industrial revolution in the United States. Business History Review. 1972, 46 (2): 141–181.
- Hudson Coal Company. The Story of Anthracite. New York. 1932: 425. — Useful overview of the industry in the 20th century; fair-minded with an operators perspective
- Report of the United states coal commission.... (5 vol in 3; 1925) Official US government investigation. online vol 1-2
- Tryon, Frederick Gale, and Joseph Henry Willits, eds. What the Coal Commission Found: An Authoritative Summary by the Staff (1925).
- General policies committee of anthracite operators. The anthracite coal strike of 1922: A statement of its causes and underlying purposes (1923); Official statement by the operators. online