|Warner Bros. Pictures|
Logo used since the 2023
|曾用名||Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. (1923–1967)|
Warner Bros.-Seven Arts, Inc. (1967–1970)
Warner Bros. Inc. (1970–1992)
|公司前身||Warner Features Company|
|所有權者||WarnerMedia Studios & Networks Group|
(WarnerMedia a subsidiary of AT&T)
(spin-out into independent entity pending, to be merged with Discovery, Inc.)
In 1927, Warner Bros. Pictures revolutionized the film industry when the American-Jewish Warner brothers released their first pictures "talkie" The Jazz Singer starring Al Jolson. Unfortunately, founding member Sam Warner died prior to the premiere of the film. From 1923 to 1967, Warner Bros. was known as Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. as their main focus was entirely on the motion picture industry. When the company diversified over the years, it was eventually rebranded to its current umbrella name, but Warner Bros. Pictures continued to be used as the name of the film production arm of the company.
The division was incorporated as Warner Bros. Pictures on March 3, 2003 to diversify film subjects and expand audiences for their film releases. The company became part of the Warner Bros. Pictures Group, which was established in 2008, and Jeff Robinov was appointed the first president of the company. In 2017, longtime New Line executive Toby Emmerich joined as president. In January 2018, he was elevated to chairman. On October 23, 2018 it was announced Lynne Frank, President of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, would be leaving the company to pursue new opportunities. In June 2019, Warner Bros. Pictures signed an agreement with SF Studios to have their films distributed in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland.
As with most other film distributors, Warner Bros. Pictures struggled with releasing films during the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic due to restrictions on theater openings. After pushing several films planned for 2020 into 2021, WB announced in December 2020 that they would take the unusual approach of having their entire slate of 2021 films planned for both theatrical release as well as having a simultaneous one-month period of availability on the HBO Max streaming service, in a similar manner for how they were releasing Wonder Woman 1984 that month. After one month, such films would still be available in theaters and would then later be available via home media under typical release schedules. The move to include streaming was criticized by production companies, directors, and actors as Warner Bros. Pictures had not informed anyone about the plan ahead of the announcement, as well of concerns of lower payouts due to the streaming options, leading Warner Bros. Pictures to alter its compensation rates for the affected films by January 2021 to provide larger payouts to casts and crews of these films.
Mergers and acquisitions have helped Warner Bros. accumulate a diverse collection of films, cartoons and television programs. As of 2019, Warner Bros. owned more than 100,000 hours of programming, including 8,600 feature films and 5,000 television programs comprising tens of thousands of individual episodes.
In the aftermath of the 1948 antitrust suit, uncertain times led Warner Bros. in 1956 to sell most of its pre-1950 films and cartoons to Associated Artists Productions (a.a.p.). In addition, a.a.p. also obtained the Fleischer Studios and Famous Studios Popeye cartoons, originally from Paramount Pictures. Two years later, a.a.p. was sold to United Artists, which owned the company until 1981, when Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer acquired United Artists.
In 1986, Turner Broadcasting System acquired Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Finding itself in debt, Turner Entertainment kept the pre-May 1986 MGM film and television libraries and a small portion of the United Artists library (including the a.a.p. library and North American rights to the RKO Radio Pictures library) while spinning off the rest of MGM.
In 1989, Warner Communications acquired Lorimar-Telepictures Corporation. Lorimar's catalogue included the post-1974 library of Rankin/Bass Productions, and the post-1947 library of Monogram Pictures/Allied Artists Pictures Corporation.
In 1991, Turner Broadcasting System acquired animation studio Hanna-Barbera and the Ruby-Spears library from Great American Broadcasting, and years later, Turner Broadcasting System acquired Castle Rock Entertainment on December 22, 1993 and New Line Cinema on January 28, 1994. On October 10, 1996, Time Warner acquired Turner Broadcasting System, thus bringing Warner Bros.' pre-1950 library back home. In addition, Warner Bros. only owns Castle Rock Entertainment's post-1994 library.
In 2008, Time Warner integrated New Line to Warner Bros.
In June 2016, it created the Harry Potter Global Franchise Development Team to oversee its ownership of the Harry Potter franchise worldwide (including the Wizarding World trademark).
- Warner Bros
- Warner Bros Pictures library (post-1950, 1950-present)
- Warner Bros. Television Studios library (1955-present)
- Warner Animation Group library (2013-present)
- Warner Bros. Feature Animation library (1990-2004)
- Warner Bros Animation library (1980-present)
- Cartoon Network Studios library (1996-present)
- Adult Swim/Williams Street library (1994-present)
- New Line Cinema library (1982-present)
- New Line Television library (1988-2008)
- Castle Rock Entertainment films library (post-1994, 1994-present)
- Castle Rock Entertainment television library (post-1994, 1994-present)
- DC Films (2016-present)
- HBO Films libraries, co-owned by HBO (1983-present)
- Home video distribution rights of Cannon Films libraries (post-1991)
- Turner Entertainment
- MGM film library (pre-May 1986)
- United Artists/Associated Artists Productions libraries:
- RKO Pictures live action library's US, Canadian, UK, Australian, German and Italian distribution rights (pre-1960)
- Brut Productions library (1973-1982)
华纳兄弟影业的首部發行的真人電影是《我在德國的四年》（1918年），首部动画电影是《Gay Purr-ee》（1962年），华纳兄弟动画公司和华纳动画集团制作的动画电影，同样由华纳兄弟影业发行。华纳兄弟影业共有25部作品荣获奥斯卡最佳影片奖提名：Disraeli（1929）、牢獄餘生（1932）、42nd Street（1933）、Here Comes the Navy（1934）、A Midsummer Night's Dream（1935）、风流世家（1936）、左拉传（1937）、侠盗罗宾汉（1938）、Four Daughters（1938）、红衫泪痕（1938）、卿何薄命（1939），以及其他著名作品。
- Company history. Warnerbros.com. [April 9, 2014]. （原始内容存档于2015-10-16）.
- 2017 Annual Report (PDF). 華納媒體. 2018 [April 26, 2019]. （原始内容存档 (PDF)于2018-07-08）.
- Patten, Dominic; Yamato, Jen. Warner Bros Layoffs Long Planned But "Accelerated" By Failed Fox Bid. Deadline Hollywood. [September 6, 2014]. （原始内容存档于2014-09-06）.
- Warner, Movie Magnate, Dies: Sam Warner, Former Youngstown Man, Rose from Obscurity to Leader in Field. The Youngstown Daily Vindicator. October 5, 1927.
- Business Entity Detail: Warner Bros. Pictures (search on Entity Number: C2502930). California Business Search. California Secretary of State. [June 19, 2019]. （原始内容存档于2016-12-29）.
- Halbfinger, David. Warner's Production Chief to Also Oversee Distribution. November 27, 2007 [2021-06-24]. （原始内容存档于2019-12-19）.
- Lang, Brent. Warner Bros. Shake-Up: Toby Emmerich Named Film Chairman, Sue Kroll Out. Variety. 2018-01-09 [2020-02-07]. （原始内容存档于2021-04-30） （英语）.
- Warner Bros. Shake-Up: Toby Emmerich Named Film Chairman, Sue Kroll Out. Variety. January 9, 2018 [2021-06-24]. （原始内容存档于2021-04-30）.
- Warner Bros International Marketing President Lynne Frank To Exit. Deadline. October 23, 2018 [2021-06-24]. （原始内容存档于2021-04-30）.
- Warner Bros, SF Studios Expand Distribution Deal Across Scandinavia. Variety. June 25, 2019 [2021-06-24]. （原始内容存档于2021-04-30）.
- Rubin, Rebecca; Donnelly, Matt. Warner Bros. to Debut Entire 2021 Film Slate, Including ‘Dune’ and ‘Matrix 4,’ Both on HBO Max and In Theaters. Variety. December 3, 2020 [December 3, 2020]. （原始内容存档于2020-12-03）.
- Barnes, Brooks; Sperling, Nicole. Trading Box Office for Streaming, but Stars Still Want Their Money. The New York Times. December 7, 2020 [January 18, 2021]. （原始内容存档于2021-06-25）.
- Shaw, Lucas; Gilbolm, Kelly. Warner Bros. Guarantees Filmmakers a Payday for HBO Max Movies. Bloomberg News. January 9, 2021 [January 18, 2021]. （原始内容存档于2021-06-08）.
- WarnerBros.com – Company Overview. Warner Bros. [September 29, 2019]. （原始内容存档于2019-09-29）.
- Schickel & Perry 2008，第255頁 harvnb error: no target: CITEREFSchickelPerry2008 (help)
- WB retained a pair of features from 1949 that they merely distributed, and all short subjects released on or after September 1, 1948; in addition to all cartoons released in August 1948
- Media History Digital Library. archive.org. [September 17, 2019]. （原始内容存档于March 25, 2019）.
- Hoyt, Eric. Hollywood Vault: Film Libraries Before Home Video. Univ of California Press. 2014-07-03 [2021-06-24]. ISBN 978-0-520-95857-9. （原始内容存档于2021-04-30） （英语）.
- Cole, Robert J. M-G-M Is Reported Purchasing United Artists for $350 million. The New York Times. May 16, 1981 [October 26, 2016]. ISSN 0362-4331. （原始内容存档于2016-09-08）.
- Faberge Sells Brut's Assets. The New York Times. [November 27, 2014]. （原始内容存档于2017-07-01）.
- Turner Sells Fabled MGM but Keeps a Lion's Share. Los Angeles Times. 1985-12-20 [2018-02-02]. （原始内容存档于2017-08-01）.
- Crash Landing Merv Adelson—TV mogul, multimillionaire, and friend of the famous—lived a show-business fantasy. His bankruptcy has shocked Hollywood. – November 10, 2003. cnn.com. [September 2, 2015]. （原始内容存档于2013-01-26）.
- Warner Completes Merger With Lorimar Telepictures. The Los Angeles Times. [2010-10-23]. （原始内容存档于2012-11-03）.
- Turner Broadcasting Company Report. sec.gov. Securities and Exchange Commission. [November 8, 2017]. （原始内容存档于2017-07-10）.
- Done deal: Turner Broadcasting System Inc. said it closed...... Chicage Tribune. [September 2, 2015]. （原始内容存档于2016-03-02）.
- New Line to Join Ted Turner Empire Today : Film: With more money, the company is likely to add a few big movies to its annual production schedule.. Los Angeles Times. 1994-01-28 [2019-10-30]. （原始内容存档于2019-03-25）.
- New Line Cinema. ethicalbusinessbureau.com. [2019-10-30]. （原始内容存档于2016-03-02）.
- Barraclough, Leo. Warner Bros. Completes Harry Potter Franchise Team With Polly Cochrane Promotion. Variety. June 8, 2016 [December 12, 2017]. （原始内容存档于2017-12-01）.
- Box Office by Studio – Warner Bros. All Time. Box Office Mojo. [15 August 2017]. （原始内容存档于2017-08-16）.