《特斯拉》 (英語：Tesla) 是一部由邁克爾·阿爾梅雷達編劇並執導，在2020年上映的美國傳記劇情片。本部片由伊森·霍克主演尼古拉·特斯拉，另外，伊芙·休森、Ebon Moss-Bachrach、吉姆·加菲根、和凯尔·麦克拉克伦也出演該部電影的製作。
這部電影於2020年1月27日在圣丹斯电影节上全球首映，並於2020年8月20日由IFC Films上映於指定的電影院和Premium VOD。
In 1893, Nikola Tesla and a female companion are roller skating. A narrator explains that Tesla was inspired as a young boy when he was petting his cat and saw static electricity.
Nine years prior, in 1884 New York City, Tesla is working for Thomas Edison, who disregards Tesla's suggestions of using alternating current, and not want to pay him for the invention. Their coworker explains that Edison's disapproval was partly because of the death of his wife, When they smash ice cream cones on each other, the narrator interrupts and says that isn't how it happened. She explains how Google searches on Tesla show very few photographs and usually the same headshots. She goes into Tesla's childhood and schooling, and also that he tried to start his own company but failed, and ended up having to dig ditches. Edison, on the other hand, has more popularity, twice as many search results, but lives a lavish lifestyle and married and widowed young with his first wife Mary.
While Edison meets Mina, his second wife, in 1885, Tesla pitches his work on his induction motor to investors Brown and Peck. He and his assistant Anthony Szigeti impress Professor Anthony, who suggests he break up the invention into several patents. He meets Anthony's daughter Evelyn; and Anne Morgan, the daughter of J.P. Morgan and also the film's narrator.
George Westinghouse, an inventor and businessman, buys Tesla's patents and fund production where the latter would get a royalty for every product installed in a home. He shares a rivalry challenge from Edison who claims that direct current is superior, and that alternating current is dangerous. Edison shows the Westinghouse invention as a capital punishment tool on William Kemmler, who had killed his wife. Meanwhile, Tesla demonstrates his invention to an audience using two induction sticks that glow.
Szigeti invents a compass apparatus, but Tesla tells him it has already been invented, so Szigeti abandons his pursuits and seeks his fortune in South Africa. Kemmler's execution by electric chair is botched. Anne gets to know Tesla more. Tesla's invention is used to power's the World's Fair in 1893 in Chicago. Edison meets with Tesla and admits he was wrong about alternating current, and then he offers to partner with Tesla. Anne clarifies that this meeting never happened: Edison neither apologized nor offered to join forces.
Westinghouse tells Tesla that in order to keep his business going, he needs to do a merger, but has to cancel Tesla's contract regarding his horsepower royalties. Tesla tears up his contract.
Sarah Bernhardt, a celebrity actress, records for Edison's gramophone. She meets Tesla at her event, but Edison is envious of Tesla and escorts her away.
Later, Tesla oversees the design of the Niagara Falls hydroelectric power plant. J.P. Morgan asks Anne if she thinks Tesla is interested in romancing her. Anne talks with Tesla about it, but finds he has plans for another invention, but unfortunately he is moving far away to Colorado. In 1899 Colorado Springs, he sets up his Tesla coil to harness and to transmit the power of the lightning storms.
Tesla meets up with Bernhardt who is touring the area. She shows interest in him, and invites him to attend her performance, but he does not show up. J.P. Morgan invests in his invention, giving him a check, which Tesla accepts.
In 1901, Edison's mining venture fails and he loses four million dollars. Tesla has not shown much progress in his work either, and even though Marconi has used Tesla's patents to transmit wireless signals, Tesla seems to be more interested in receiving and decoding signals he believes are from Mars. He asks J.P. Morgan for more funding, but is declined.
There's a scene of Tesla singing to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", along with montage stills from the film.
Realizing she has no future with Tesla, Anne moves to France to work with an organization helping children. She explains how Tesla outlived his peers but dies alone at 87 years old. She reflects that today's world might be what he had imagined.
In February 2018, it was announced Ethan Hawke had joined the cast of the film, with Michael Almereyda directing from a screenplay he wrote. The script was an updated form of the first feature he ever wrote, a Tesla biopic originally optioned to Polish director Jerzy Skolimowski that was never made. Almereyda "reinvented it for the present moment" adding details about Tesla that had been published since then and including changes based on other influences such as director Derek Jarman and author Henry James.
Tesla had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 27, 2020, where it won the Alfred P. Sloan Award. Shortly after, IFC Films acquired distribution rights to the film and released it in selected theaters and via Premium VOD on August 21, 2020.
Tesla grossed $93,147 in the United States and Canada, and $365,904 in other territories, for a worldwide total of $459,051. It made $42,165 from 108 theaters in its opening weekend. That same weekend the film was the second-most rented on Apple TV, before finishing 10th at Apple TV and ninth on Spectrum the following weekend.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 58% based on 178 reviews, with an average rating of 6/10. The site's critics consensus reads, "Appropriately bold and ambitious, Tesla takes a number of risks that don't always pay off -- but Ethan Hawke's performance makes those flaws easier to forgive." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 67 out of 100, based on 30 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews."
- ^ Tesla. 圣丹斯电影节. [2019-12-15]. （原始内容存档于2020-08-09）.
- ^ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Tesla (2020). Box Office Mojo. IMDbPro. [2021-11-01]. （原始内容存档于2021-11-04）.
- ^ Sundance Film Review: Tesla Reinvents the Biopic. January 30, 2020 [2022-04-28]. （原始内容存档于2022-03-12）.
- ^ Dessem, Matthew. What's Fact and What's Fiction in Tesla. Slate. 2020-08-21 [2022-04-28]. （原始内容存档于2022-04-15）.
- ^ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Hay, Carla. Review: 'Tesla,' starring Ethan Hawke, Kyle MacLachlan, Eve Hewson, Jim Gaffigan and Hannah Gross. Culture Mix. 2020-08-23 [2022-03-02]. （原始内容存档于2022-03-03）.
- ^ Tesla - A movie by Michael Almereyda - starring: Ethan Hawke, Kyle MacLachlan, Eve Hewson, Jim Gaffigan and Donnie Kersawarz. The Hollywood Times. 2020-08-12 [2022-03-25]. （原始内容存档于2022-03-02）.
- ^ Scott, Ryan. Tesla Trailer: Ethan Hawke Is Legendary Scientist Nikola Tesla. Movieweb.com. 2020-07-10 [2022-03-25]. （原始内容存档于2022-06-27）.
- ^ Ritman, Alex. Ethan Hawke to Play Nikola Tesla in Biopic. The Hollywood Reporter. February 12, 2018 [December 15, 2019]. （原始内容存档于2021-04-23）.
- ^ Hipes, Patrick. 'Tesla' Trailer: Ethan Hawke Plugs In To Iconic Scientist In Michael Almereyda's Biopic. Deadline Hollywood. July 10, 2020 [July 22, 2020]. （原始内容存档于2020-07-12）.
- ^ Siegel, Tatiana. Sundance Unveils Female-Powered Lineup Featuring Taylor Swift, Gloria Steinem, Abortion Road Trip Drama. The Hollywood Reporter. December 4, 2019 [December 15, 2019]. （原始内容存档于2019-12-08）.
- ^ Lang, Brent. IFC Films Buys Ethan Hawke Drama 'Tesla' (EXCLUSIVE). Variety. April 6, 2020 [April 6, 2020]. （原始内容存档于2022-04-06）.
- ^ 12.0 12.1 Tesla (2020) - Financial Information. The Numbers. Nash Information Services, LLC. [November 1, 2021]. （原始内容存档于2022-05-25）.
- ^ Anthony D'Alessandro. 'Unhinged' Sees Increased Business On Saturday For $4M Opening As Exhibition Turns Lights Back On. Deadline Hollywood. August 22, 2020 [August 23, 2020]. （原始内容存档于2020-11-18）.
- ^ Brueggemann, Tom. 'The Vanished' Leads New VOD Releases, but the Top 10 Charts Agreed on Little Else. August 24, 2020 [2022-04-28]. （原始内容存档于2020-09-28）.
- ^ Brueggemann, Tom. 'Bill & Ted Face the Music' Tops Multiple VOD Charts as Chadwick Boseman Films Soar. IndieWire. August 31, 2020 [August 31, 2020]. （原始内容存档于2020-09-24）.
- ^ Tesla (2020). Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. [October 10, 2021]. （原始内容存档于2022-04-28）.
- ^ Tesla Reviews. Metacritic. [December 18, 2020]. （原始内容存档于2022-04-28）.