關於死亡的確切人數，各方報導並不一致。 Bukar說超過2000人已經被殺，Zanna堅稱這2000人是「下落不明」 ，但其他報導有一百到數百人不等。 區長Baba Abba Hassan則稱，有100人是在1月3日被殺，但之後他又補充說，有數百具屍體仍躺在街頭，其中包括了被武裝分子追上的婦女和小孩。 然而Hassan否認了1月7日曾經發生襲擊的消息，並稱2000人死亡的數字相當離譜。  奈及利亞政府也否認了有大量傷亡的說法，稱死亡人數是相當低的。 不過奈及利亞政府在過去就有多次淡化或否認受到博科聖地襲擊的紀錄，包括了博科聖地分子與政府軍均涉入其中的2013年巴加大屠殺，是場屠殺造成超過200名平民死亡。
一位政府發言人給了籠統的不準確數字，稱有1636人逃難；但根據其他報導和當地官員的說法，則是至少有3萬5千人逃離該地。倖存者稱，「屍體散布街頭」，巴加鎮的全部人都已經逃離，有的進入喀麦隆和乍得。大約有20,000人在邁杜古里附近的營地尋求庇護，有1萬人逃到州的首府蒙古諾等待運輸。 Bukar說，巴加鎮幾乎已不存在。  當地的人權活動家稱，他們被告知有逃離該鎮的婦女被綁架，其中最小的年僅10歲。
- 周虹汶(譯). 博科聖地殺兩千人 倖存者踩屍逃難. 自由時報. 2015-01-11 [2015-01-11].
- Boko Haram destroys at least 16 villages in NE Nigeria: officials. Business Insider. Agence France-Presse. 8 January 2015 [8 January 2015].
- Boko Haram crisis: Nigeria's Baga town hit by new assault. BBC World News. British Broadcasting Corporation. 8 January 2015 [8 January 2015].
- Smith, Alexander. Boko Haram Torches Nigerian Town of Baga; 2,000 Missing: Senator. NBC News. National Broadcasting Company. 8 January 2015 [8 January 2015].
- Boko Haram kills dozens in fresh raids in Nigerian town. Thomson Reuters. Reuters. 8 January 2015 [8 January 2015].
- Olanrewaju, Timothy. One week after Boko Haram attack, corpses litter Baga. The Sun (Nigeria). 9 January 2015 [9 January 2015].
- Boko Haram suffers heavy defeat in surprise attack on military base. News Express. 5 January 2015 [9 January 2015].
- Smith, Alexander. Boko Haram Militants in Nigeria Storm Key Base in Baga. NBC News (National Broadcasting Company). 8 January 2015 [8 January 2015].
- Roggio, Bill. Boko Haram overruns Multinational Joint Task Force base. Long War Journal. 4 January 2015 [8 January 2015].
- Hinshaw, Drew; Akingbule, Gbenga. Boko Haram Rampages, Slaughters in Northeast Nigeria. The Wall Street Journal (Dow Jones & Company). 9 January 2015 [10 January 2015].
- Hayden, Sally. Gruesome Reports Emerge of New Boko Haram Massacre in Northern Nigeria. Vice News (Vice Media). 8 January 2015 [9 January 2015].
However, an NGO researcher in Nigeria told VICE News that she had heard from various sources — including one inside the Ministry of Defence — that the number of new fatalities in Baga could be considerably lower, though she couldn't independently confirm those claims.
- Boko Haram seizes strategic Nigerian town :Boko Haram seizes strategic Nigerian town Army denies takeover even as thousands of people are reported fleeing northern Nigerian town amid Boko Haram attack.. Al Jazeera English (Al Jazeera). 2 September 2014 [9 January 2015].
Boko Haram have seized a strategic town in Nigeria's far northeast, prompting denials from the military... [which] countered that it had pushed back the militants, who in recent weeks have moved from indiscriminate and retaliatory hit-and-run attacks to seizing strategic territory in Borno state.
- Nigeria gov't denies new Boko Haram mass kidnap. CBS News (Columbia Broadcasting System). 24 June 2014 [9 January 2015].
Witnesses say Islamic extremists have abducted 60 more girls and women and 31 boys from villages in northeast Nigeria. Security forces denied the kidnappings.
- Bello, Usman A. Police Deny Boko Haram Attack in Kogi. Daily Trust. AllAfrica. 17 September 2014 [9 January 2015].
The police in Kogi State yesterday refuted reports of an attack on a military vehicle by suspected Boko Haram members in the state.
- Boko Haram displaces 1,636 in Baga. News Express. 7 January 2015 [9 January 2015].
- Adigun, Bashir. Nigerian Defense Chief: Military Base in Hands of Extremists. ABC News. Associated Press. 6 January 2015 [9 January 2015].